Wednesday, October 15, 2014

SEAN TAYLOR: Five Things Learned Writing OF MONSTERS AND MEN

NEW FROM MOONSTONE BOOKS!
INCLUDES "Sanctuary" by Sean Taylor -- featuring the Golden Amazon and Quasimodo!

Nine brand NEW tales of PULP HEROES vs MONSTERS!
The Golden Amazon, Green Lama, Richard Knight, Captain Future, Green Ghost, Moon Man, and more…

Battle demons and monstrosities from out of this world, by some of today's top talents!
 
#
 
1. I learned that characters I've never heard of before can quickly become your new favorites to write.
 
I have to admit that I wasn't familiar with the Golden Amazon prior to writing the tale, but I fell in love with her attitude and voice as I read the notes and the previous stories that featured her.
 

 
2. I learned that sometimes you have to ignore the established story that everybody knows.
 
Quasimodo was the good guy, the hero, the misunderstood monster. I had to make him a bad guy for the story concept that I was given to work. So I did. (Even if I didn't twist it back around later, but you'll have to read the story for that nugget.)
 
3. I learned that the Global Chill station on Pandora is one of my best writing tools.
 
I must have listened to this one non-stop while I was writing this story.
 

 
4. I learned that it's important to put your story title in BIG, BOLD fonts so they don't get missed.
 
The story is supposed to be called “Sanctuary” but it got the generic title of “Return of the Monsters” instead because I typed that on the first line and the actual title on the second line. Sigh.
 
5. I learned that sometimes one takes a “starter” job for a new publisher, and it can turn into something bigger as time progresses.
 
I learned that even a “starter” job can turn into something you really, really, really enjoy and lead to a new regular character you'd love to continue writing. (Refer to #1 if you have a short attention span or got distracted by a shiny, new squirrel.)
 
#
 
Sean Taylor is an award-winning writer of stories. He grew up telling lies, and he got pretty good at it, so now he writes them into full-blown adventures for comic books, graphic novels, magazines, book anthologies and novels. He makes stuff up for money, and he writes it down for fun. He’s a lucky fellow that way.

He’s best known for his work on the best-selling Gene Simmons Dominatrix comic book series from IDW Publishing and Simmons Comics Group. He has also written comics for TV properties such as the top-rated Oxygen Network series The Bad Girls Club. His other forays into fiction include such realms as steampunk, pulp, young adult, fantasy, super heroes, sci-fi, and even samurai frogs on horseback (seriously, don’t laugh). However, his favorite contribution to the world will be as the writer/editor who invented the genre and coined the term "Hookerpunk."
 
For more information (and mug shots) visit www.taylorverse.com and his writer’s blog at seanhtaylor.blogspot.com.
 
 
Links to Sean's work:
 
                     The Taylorverse: My Official Website
                     Amazon
                     The Ruby Files
                     Show Me A Hero
                     Lance Star Sky Ranger
                     Blackthorn: Thunder on Mars
                     Many Worlds of Ulysses King
 
Sean's Social Media Links
 
                     About.Me
                     Facebook
                     Google+
                     Linked In
                     Twitter
                     Good Reads
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: